Gone are the days where your target reader and/or client will dive into your community without getting something in return.
Getting these people on your email list is pivotal for you, but they won’t give up their prime inbox real estate for nothing. Cue the marketing jargon that makes most authors nauseated: opt-ins, lead magnets and email nurture campaigns.
Building an email list is an important marketing effort for authors to utilize. However, it’s not as easy as you may think. You have to entice someone to get onto the list and then you have to remain connected without being overly pushy or frequent which could cause you to lose them. This episode discusses how a podcast could be a creative tool to help encourage readers to join your list and provide a memorable and innovative solution to keep them on it.
Here are some of my favorite highlights from this episode:
- Ever wondered what an opt-in is and what it means? I define it for you early in the episode and highlight why it’s important for authors. (4:49)
- Lead magnets. What are they? Most people won’t give their email over without something in return. And, guess what, that’s a lead magnet. (8:35)
- Authors should consider unique lead magnets (not just a sample book chapter download). To build your list you need to offer something of value. (9:43 and 21:57)
- A podcast may be on your authorpreneur horizon, but you may be worried what will happen if you run out of ideas. Betsy shares a fun example and how she saw an author use it creatively. (10:58)
- How do you make money with a podcast? It’s the number one question people ask, and we uncover the harsh (but hopeful) realities to the answer. (14:36)
- Want some reasons as to why an email list may be worth you investing time in? I highlight some specific reasons you may want to consider. (16:39)
- How should you use your lead magnet? If you have an amazing one, don’t hoard it; share it. Here are some specific examples to get your creative juices flowing. (19:01)
- Utilize a podcast as a part of your email nurture sequence. Many overlook this creative idea, but you won’t! (26:28)
- If you want the top two takeaways that I want authors to walk away from after listening to this podcast, listen here! (32:16)
If you are a nonfiction author who is interested in utilizing a capsule podcast as a tactic to support a meaningful marketing strategy for your book or your business, the emPower PR Group can help. Visit our website to learn more about our podcasting for authors solution and download our Author’s Guide to Podcasting resource. Starting a podcast should be strategic, and we are prepped and ready to help you link it to your overarching strategies and ensure that the end result is something that will help differentiate you to your target audience!
Resources highlighted in the episode include the following.
- Buzzsprout is the hosting platform that we use, and they share an insightful blog post about private hosting for podcasts, which was highlighted in this episode.
- Learn more about how the emPower PR Group helps authors create podcasts and download the Author’s Guide to Podcasting.
Check out the other episodes in this season of The emPowered Author Podcast.
- 1.1 Don’t Just Be a Guest, Be a Podcast Host
- 1.2 Using a Podcast with an Internal Launch
- 1.3 Using a Podcast with an External Launch
- 1.4 How a Podcast is a Powerful Authorpreneur Tool
- 1.6 Use a Podcast to Get On a Podcast
Listen on your favorite podcast platform.
Watch on YouTube
You need to be memorable. How can you stick out amongst the crazy chaos? How do you become somebody that your target readers will remember? While there is a place for you on social media, if you aren’t building an email list, you’re missing a really critical component to building a business and being effective.
Stephanie and Betsy discuss the dreaded marketing terms: opt-in, lead magnet and email nurture sequence. And, they highlight how a podcast could be an innovative solution for each. Watch episode 1.5 of The emPowered Author Podcast on YouTube.
Memorable Quotes from the Episode
Not sure how a capsule podcast could support your overarching marketing goals and strategies?!
No worries … we’ve pulled out some of the innovative ideas that are shared throughout season one of the podcast and are excited to share those with you — and share how they have a direct correlation to your overarching marketing strategies.
Meet the Podcast Host and Guest
emPower PR Group
Stephanie Feger is passionate about helping authors make their author emPact. As the host of The emPowered Author Podcast, she has merged her love for reading books, writing books and marketing books to help authors be successful by sharing emPactful marketing strategies and tactics through the podcast. As an author herself and a seasoned book marketing expert, her goal is to ensure that authors are strategic and focused when it comes to book marketing.
Betsy Wallace loves to listen to a good podcast and loves creating them! Having co-hosted, produced and edited over 300+ podcasts, she has learned first-hand how to take a powerful message and package it into a meaningful experience for listeners. While her business works with individuals from a wide range of industries, she has seen the power of the capsule podcast for authors in building visibility, creating ongoing engagement, and selling books.