Photography holds a unique place in our lives. It not only captures moments and memories but also has the ability to emPower, inspire and communicate without words. And, while authors believe that their book’s hold the power of their message, it’s important to not neglect the visual story that should accompany it.
I had the pleasure of sitting down with Chanel Wells-Henderson, my favorite photographer during Season 5 of The emPowered Author Podcast to discuss author branding photos and headshots. Chanel’s passion for capturing a brand story in a photo is evident in her work. Together on this episode, we highlight the profound influence that a single photograph can have in legitimizing our efforts, building confidence and connecting with others. During this episode of the podcast, Chanel and I discussed:
- Why every author needs a photographer.
- How a good photographer always has the author in mind, ensuring the story they capture aligns accordingly.
- The 6 reasons photography matters.
- What photos authors need and how to use them.
Photography holds immense power in capturing confidence, telling stories and enhancing author and authorpreneur brands. It enables us to communicate beyond words, connect with audiences worldwide and legitimize our endeavors. Finding the right professionals and understanding the visual nature of our thinking are all essential aspects of harnessing the true potential of photography. So, whether you’re an authorpreneur looking to strengthen your business brand or an author seeking to capture the visual side of your story, remember the transformative power that photography can bring to your life and story.
Here are some of my favorite highlights from this episode:
- A good photographer doesn’t just capture a photo, they capture confidence. (7:14)
- If you know your brand, you know what to bring to a photo shoot to ensure your brand is visualized. (9:11)
- Chanel tells her story on how she fell into photography. (12:42)
- Many people despise photo taking, however without brand photos, businesses don’t expand. Don’t let your upper limit hold you back. (15:43)
- Photos are important elements of websites. We highlight the 3 parts of a good website and how photos fit into it. (18:52)
- Photos matter! We work through the 6 reasons they do. (21:02)
- There are some core photos every author needs, and we highlight them and how to use them. (35:11)
Author photos are our jam! If you’d like support in bringing your author brand to life, reach out and let’s chat. Learn more about our author photography solutions and let’s see if we can help you.
Resources highlighted in the episode include the following.
- During the episode, I shared how my business evolved from the first book I wrote, Color Today Pretty: An Inspirational Guide to Living a Life in Perspective.
- We all navigate upper limit issues, but I’ve enjoyed reading The Big Leap each year to help me crash through them and embrace my Zone of Genius.
- During the episode I highlight 6 reasons photography matters as outlined in an online article from the Digital Photography School.
Check out the other episodes in this season of The emPowered Author Podcast.
- 5.1 Your Visual Story Should Complement Your Written One
- 5.2 How to Prepare a Photoshoot Unique to You
- 5.3 Choosing a Photographer Who Understands Your Goals
- 5.4 What You Didn’t Know You Needed to Know About Photography
- 5.5 Leveraging Your Author Photography
- 5.6 It’s All in the Details (Your Photo Details that is!)
Listen on your favorite podcast platform.
Memorable Quotes from the Episode
Meet the Podcast Host and Guest
emPower PR Group
Stephanie Feger is passionate about helping authors make their author emPact. As the host of The emPowered Author Podcast, she has merged her love for reading books, writing books and marketing books to help authors be successful by sharing emPactful marketing strategies and tactics through the podcast. As an author herself and a seasoned book marketing expert, her goal is to ensure that authors are strategic and focused when it comes to book marketing.
Chanel Wells-Henderson is a branding Rockstar. Seriously! Her ability to capture authors’ brands to help tell their story visually is proof that she works in her zone of genius. With her brand photography business, she captures photos that elevate a brand and helps authors reach their ideal client (and ideal reader)! She knows that authors have a group of super loyal fans who want to support you (and buy your book) and she helps authors speak to them through their photos.
Ease the stress of planning your photo shoot with this handy checklist.
Whether you’re camera-shy or love the limelight, we want you to make the most of your photo session. Be fully prepared with our downloadable planning checklist.