The digital age has transformed the way we navigate the world, and the same holds true in the author space. In today’s landscape, having a website is not just a luxury; it’s a necessity. Websites are essential tools for authors, books, authorpreneur businesses and more. It serves as a connecting tool… a digital hub so to speak… where you control your message and showcase your unique perspective. So, my question to you is… do you have one?
I had the pleasure of sitting down with Sandy Wiles, a website design expert during Season 4 of The emPowered Author Podcast to discuss author websites and all that comes with them. Sandy’s insights drive home that an author website allows readers to delve into the author and their books in ways other marketing tactics just can’t offer. In fact, a well-crafted author website becomes the differentiator that captures readers’ interest, rather than the other way around. During this episode of the podcast, Sandy and I discussed:
- How an author is bigger than their book and their author website should be too.
- That a website allows an author to control their message in a way that drives toward their goals and encourages readers to engage accordingly.
- Why quality websites matter, especially since they are an author’s reputation on a screen; they are usually the first encounter readers have with you.
There are few nonnegotiables that I require for authors when it comes to marketing efforts, but an author website is one of them. In fact, I believe it is a crucial component of your success because it establishes credibility, showcases unique perspective and serves as the first point of contact for potential readers. Embrace the digital age and recognize the importance of a strong online presence. As you jump into the vast digital landscape, create your parachute—the website that will help you land softly and navigate the book world with confidence.
Here are some of my favorite highlights from this episode:
- You may question what should be included in an author website and what’s its purpose anyway. While the whole episode highlights the answers, I share a bit about how you need one to help you stand out and fit in. (1:50)
- When it comes to marketing, make sure your efforts work for you and not the other way around. (1:54)
- Website aren’t nice-to-haves; they are musts in today’s business landscape. (17:33)
- How can you provide more value outside of your book to keep people engaged and learning around what you teach? The answer is a website will offer that support. (32:14)
- Don’t neglect considering what your readers want. I offer some questions to consider as you build your website and keep your readers in mind. (34:10)
Author websites are our jam! If you’d like support in bringing your author website to life, reach out and let’s chat. Learn more about our author website solutions and let’s see if we can help you.
Resources highlighted in the episode include the following.
- In the episode I highlight some website statistics from a PR Newswire report in February 2021 that are staggering.
- Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. In fact, I learned from the author of Who Not How the importance of seeking help when you need it from someone who knows what they’re doing.
- During the episode, I shared how my business evolved from the first book I wrote, Color Today Pretty: An Inspirational Guide to Living a Life in Perspective. Knowing how your business will expand can assist you in developing a website that will grow with you.
- Things that are worth tackling require courage. Do It Scared by Ruth Soukup will remind you to take the leap into overwhelm and get that website built!
Check out the other episodes in this season of The emPowered Author Podcast.
- 4.1 Every Author Needs a Digital Hub (And It All Starts with an Author Website!)
- 4.2 The Key Elements of a Strong Author Website
- 4.3 What Type of Author Website Do You Need?
- 4.4 How to Use Your Website to Accomplish Your Goals
- 4.5 How to Leverage a Website to Build Relationships
- 4.6 Everything You Didn’t Know You Needed to Know About Author Websites
Listen on your favorite podcast platform.
Memorable Quotes from the Episode
Meet the Podcast Host and Guest
emPower PR Group
Stephanie Feger is passionate about helping authors make their author emPact. As the host of The emPowered Author Podcast, she has merged her love for reading books, writing books and marketing books to help authors be successful by sharing emPactful marketing strategies and tactics through the podcast. As an author herself and a seasoned book marketing expert, her goal is to ensure that authors are strategic and focused when it comes to book marketing.
Sandy Wiles is an expert in nonfiction author websites. She blends creativity and attention to detail with strategy in every website project she tackles. Her innovative, solutions-focused approach ensures her clients harness the power of a website. Sandy knows how a reader and potential client navigate websites and leverages that knowledge to create websites that convert. When Sandy and Stephanie bring together their skillsets, magic happens.
Starting an author website but unsure where to begin?
We’ve gathered the key takeaways from Season 4 of our podcast to help you prepare for the website development process. Being prepared is essential, and we’ve got you covered.