I, one-hundred percent, believe that divine appointments happen daily, and my meeting with Shannon Carroll is proof of it.
✔️ We were both at the same writer’s retreat, and yet we didn’t know each other.
✔️ We had some overlapping connections, and she had seen me, but I hadn’t known of her prior to that day.
✔️ Our paths crossed one morning which began a conversation that would turn into not just amazing author connections but a deep friendship too.
✔️ And, on top of it all, a diagnosis I was newly navigating had similarities to what her husband had experienced, and they wrote a book about it.
This connection was destined for emPact on so many levels from the very beginning, however, it required an openness for learning, feedback and growth to bring it all together.
Shannon Carroll is the co-author of the beautiful book, One Thing Remains, which chronicles the experience her husband (and their family) endured when his mind was impacted by amnesia and their world was turned upside down. It was a long 26 days, however, during that time, Shannon, her husband and their boys uncovered that when everything feels utterly lost, there is one thing that never is and never will be. This book is a loud reminder that the crazy, stressed out lives we live aren’t only insurmountable, but have immense impact on our health and our relationships.
I’ve had the pleasure of reading this book, creating a marketing plan, conducting a VIP Day and more, and while Shannon and I discuss the ins and outs of all of this on The emPowered Author Podcast, my hope is that readers will walk away realizing that we never know what the next moment offers. In her story, a next moment created a terrifying situation. And then, years later, a next moment created our friendship.
Here are some of my favorite highlights from this episode:
- Learn how Shannon and I met and how our lives became interwoven. This is a living, breathing example of how we are all just 1-2 degrees away from the people who need us most. (1:13)
- Shannon shares her family’s story and what it was like for her husband to unexpectedly become impacted by amnesia. (4:28)
- After experiencing such a traumatic occurrence, Shannon shares what her family has learned from it. (12:35)
- During a planning meeting with Shannon, I undercovered the emPact of “why.” We discuss how asking why questions led Shannon to re-evaluate her marketing efforts and the churn she was doing. (15:28)
- When working with Shannon, I noticed she was doing a lot but wasn’t sure if it was reaping the rewards. We discuss how emPact (and many times money) can be an indicator if something is working. (19:06)
- Shannon shares some of her favorite takeaways working with the emPower PR Group and how it has positioned her for success. (25:22)
If you are a nonfiction author who is interested in a Marketing Plan VIP Day to help you, your book and your business grow, the emPower PR Group can help. Visit our website to learn more.
Resources highlighted in the episode include the following.
- One of my favorite books for authors who are uncovering their awesomeness is Gay Hendrick’s The Big Leap. I am a big believer in uncovering your zone of genius and this book will help you do that.
- If you are looking for an amazing read to remind you of what matters and what remains, grab a copy of One Thing Remains by David and Shannon Carroll.
Listen on your favorite podcast platform.
Watch on YouTube
Stephanie Feger and Shannon Carroll both believe that authors have the opportunity to make an emPact that can change lives. Watch the podcast interview on YouTube.
Watch Shannon and Stephanie discuss the book, One Thing Remains, and highlight how an author’s why can provide directional insights into what is worth an author’s energy when it comes to book marketing and business growth.
Memorable Quotes from the Episode
Meet the Podcast Host and Guest
emPower PR Group
Stephanie Feger is passionate about helping authors make their author emPact. As the host of The emPowered Author Podcast, she has merged her love for reading books, writing books and marketing books to help authors be successful by sharing emPactful marketing strategies and tactics through the podcast. As an author herself and a seasoned book marketing expert, her goal is to ensure that authors are strategic and focused when it comes to book marketing.
Author, One Thing Remains
Shannon Carroll has been fascinated with wellness since she was young. Growing up in a medical family and being exposed to medical missions in Africa when she was 12 propelled her on a life-long course of learning how to effectively care for the beautiful and intricate temple God gave each person. As a Registered Nurse and pastor’s wife, Shannon brings a unique perspective to empowering and teaching women what it means to be truly well in spirit, mind and body.